To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. A Song.
1 Praise is due to you, O God, in Zion, and to you shall vows be performed. 2 O you who hear prayer, to you shall all flesh come. 3 When iniquities prevail against me, you atone for our transgressions. 4 Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple! 5 By awesome deeds you answer us with righteousness, O God of our salvation, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas; 6 the one who by his strength established the mountains, being girded with might; 7 who stills the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, the tumult of the peoples, 8 so that those who dwell at the ends of the earth are in awe at your signs. You make the going out of the morning and the evening to shout for joy. 9 You visit the earth and water it; you greatly enrich it; the river of God is full of water; you provide their grain, for so you have prepared it. 10 You water its furrows abundantly, settling its ridges, softening it with showers, and blessing its growth. 11 You crown the year with your bounty; your wagon tracks overflow with abundance. 12 The pastures of the wilderness overflow, the hills gird themselves with joy, 13 the meadows clothe themselves with flocks, the valleys deck themselves with grain, they shout and sing together for joy.
David is known for his many psalms, among those, many were thanksgiving psalms because David has experienced God’s many blessings throughout his life (who has not?) Among the things that David thanked God for:
- He listened to our prayers. Do you feel like sometimes people do not like to listen to you? Please know that God loves to listen to us, so pray to Him.
- He forgave our sins. We were all sinners; nothing can save us from the coming judgment of God except that Jesus died and cleansed us from all our sins.
- He brought us close to Him. When we were sinners, we were far from God, the origin of all blessings, but now, not only have our sins been cleansed, but we are also close to Him, not just for blessings but more importantly our close relationship with Him.
- He was, He is, and He will be king.
- He is a righteous king. (V. 5)
- He is a mighty king. (V. 6)
- The response of everyone to His kingship is exceeding joy. (V. 7-8)
- He is our Provider. He provided us with harvest year after year. (V. 11). This year, my church is celebrating her 25th anniversary, 25 years is not a short time, throughout these 25 years, His blessings are abundant.
David after experiencing God’s blessings wrote many psalms to give thanks. I also invite you to give thanks to God. Share your thanksgiving in different ways and styles. He truly deserves every one.